unit1 Women of achievement_图文
A Chinese saying goes:
Women can hold up half of the sky.
She was the only female monarch ['m?n?k] of China, and remains the most remarkable, influential and mysterious woman in Chinese history.
Empress Wu Zetian
(624 - 705)
in Tang Dynasty
She was Dr Sun Yatsen’s wife. She was one of the top leaders in modern Chinese history. She concerned herself with welfare projects, especially the China Welfare Institute for women and children.
Song Qingling (1893-1981), China
She was a girl from the countryside who dressed as a man and went to fight for the French. She helped drive the English out of France. She was Joan of Arc caught and put to death (1412-1431), by the English. France
Marie Curie (1867-1934)
She was an inventor and a scientist from Poland. She is the only woman scientist who was awarded two Nobel Prizes. On July 4,1934, she died of radiation poisoning.
Jane Goodall (1934- ), Britain
珍· 古道尔 (Jane Goodall, 1934—) 生于
伦敦。自幼即对动物行为极感兴趣。18 岁离开学校，到赴非洲为止，她曾先后 担任过秘书以及影片制作助理。此后， 她在非洲担任古生物学家路易斯· 利基的 助手，与利基的合作经验使她能于1960 年在贡贝溪动物保护区设立一个营区，
1977年她建立了“珍· 古道尔人、动物与 环境研究所”。1991年，她倡议并成立了 “根与芽”组织，目的是使从幼儿园到大 学的年轻一代都能够行动起来，为了环 境、动物和他们自己的社区创造一个更加 美好的世界。1995年，被英国女王授予勋 爵士。珍· 古道尔撰有许多书籍和论文， 最著名的是《生活在人类的阴影中》 (1971)，此著作已被翻译成15种文字。
The passage is mainly about how
chimps in Jane Goodall worked with _______
their environment and help people
understand respectthe life of these ________ and ________ animals.
Read the text quickly to get the main idea of each paragraph. A student of African wildlife Para 1 Para 2 Para 3 Para 4
Jane’s way to study chimps and her achievements.
Jane has achieved everything she wanted to do. (a short summary to her) A day in the park. Jane’s attitude and feeling to the animals.
The first paragraph a day in the park
mother and her babies play in _______ the tree _______
______ a family wander of chimps into the forest wake up ______ feed, clean (_______ each other ________)
go to _______ sleep _______ together in their nest
The bond is as strong as in a human family.
Para 2. Jane’s way to study chimps and her achievements. She spent years ______________ following and ways: ________________________ recording chimps’ daily life and people her work changed the way ______ think about chimps __________________. discovered that chimps hunt _____ discoveries: eat meat and __________ and how communicate with chimps ___________ each other, which helped her social system work out their ___________.
Para 3: Jane’s attitude and feeling to the animals.
True or false: She hopes that chimps can be left in the cages. F She supposes that people can use chimps for ads but not for entertainment. F She has spent forty years helping people understand her work. T She has built many homes for the wild animals to live in. T
The fourth paragraph
Working with animals their in_________ own ___________________. environment Gaining ______________ a doctor’s degree for her studies.
live in_____ the Showing that women can forest _____________ as men can.
We have a choice to use the gift of our lives to make the world a better place
Only if we can understand can we care
Only if we care will we help Only if we help shall all the life is hopeful
1. Following Jane’s way of studying chimps, our group are all going to visit them in the forest.(L2-3)
2. Behave : vt.&vi. (L5) 1) Behave yourself! 2) The children are encouraged to behave well. (n. : behavior/ behaviour )
3. Everybody sits and waits in the shade of the trees while the family begins to wake up and move off. (L8-9) 4. Observe (L15)
观察，观测，遵守，庆祝 1) observe sb. do / doing sth
2) We should observe the rules .
3) Do they observe Christmas Day?
5. Once I stop, it all comes crowding in…(L28)
1) A crowd of 一群
2) Crowd in / into 涌入
3) Crowded : adj. 拥挤的
4) Come / go doing
The little boy ran crying to his mother.
6. inspire: 1) Inspire sb. to do sth. 2) Inspired / inspiring adj. 3) Inspiration n.
7. concern: vt.
1) Concern oneself with sth. // be concerned with sth. : 与…有关，参与 2) Be concerned about ：担忧，担心
Lin Qiaozhi, a Chinese physician, was born in Gulangyu, 1901. In 1929, she became the first female resident physician (住院医生)at Union Hospital‘s (协和医院)Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology (妇产科). In 1939, Lin went to the Chicago for further study. In 1948, she returned to Union Hospital and worked there till her death. She did many researches in the fields for women and babies.
1. Do some research on into
2. By chance I came across an article about a doctor called …, a specialist in women’s
Come up disease. 1) 同义词：by accident Come up with 2) 反义词: on purpose Come about
3) Chances are that … Come out 很可能 Come over
3. It seemed that she had been …,
travelling … as well as writing … 4. Catch one’s eye / attention 引起某人的注意 5. Free from: 摆脱…, 无… 6. Who were the women that Lin Qiaozhi thought needed this advice?
7. …and realized that it was intended for women 打算为…所用 ; 为……所设计
1) Be intended to do ：打算，意图
This is intended to be cooked slowly.
2) Intend to do sth. 打算做某事 3) Intention (n.)
8. Reach : 与某人取得联系
9. It hit me how difficult it was…
1) It hit sb. (that) 从句 ：某人突然想到…
It strike sb. that
It occur to sb that
2) A typhoon hit that area. Second to :次于
10. It was hard work and determination as well as her gentle nature that got her into medical school. It + be +被强调部分+ that + 句子其余部分 11. What made her succeed later on was the kindness and consideration she showed to all her patients.
12. Deliver :
Deliver a speech
13. can’t wait to do sth.
14. Devote … to
15. Carry on
carry out carry off