Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
1. I couldn’t help laughing.
我禁不住笑了起来。 2. He admitted taking the money.
3. Your coat needs brushing.
——V-ing形式作宾语 1.V-ing形式作动词宾语 (1)We enjoyed attending Miss Li’s class. 我们喜欢听李老师的课。 (2) I still remember growing rice in 1984.
⑶ I suggest doing it in a different way. 我建议用另一种方法做这件事。 ⑷ Do you consider it any good trying again? 你觉得再试一次会有好处吗？
归纳：有些动词后面一定接 v- ing 作宾语。 常这样用的动词有：
admit 承认 practise 练习 finish 完成
prevent 防止 avoid 避免 forbid 禁止 consider 考虑 forgive 宽恕 delay 耽搁 imagine 想 deny 否认 keep 保留 risk 冒险 mind 在意 miss 错过 suggest 建议
enjoy 喜欢 escape 逃避
【考例】 1) I can't imagine __________ that with them．（MET 1986） A. do B. to do
C. being done
having broken 2) Will you admit ____________ ( break) the window? 你承认不承认打破了窗户？
2. V-ing形式作介词宾语。 动名词常跟在介词或介词短语后做宾语。 常这样用的介词短语有：instead of, look forward to, object to, keep on, see about, take to, feel like 等。 He went to London in the hope of being a famous painter.他去了伦敦, 希望能成为 一名著名的画家。
归纳：后接 -ing形式或名词, 常见的带介词
contribute to (贡献), get down to (着手做) ,
lead to (导致) , look forward to(期待) ,
take to (从事) , turn to (求助于), stick to (坚持), be used to (习惯于) ,
devote oneself to (献身于),
be equal to (胜任) 等。
1) Keep on ____ and you will succeed.
A. a try
C. triing A. he should go C. his going
D. trying B. he go D. him to go
2) His parents insist on ___ to college.
3.有些动词短语后也要求跟动名词作宾语。 常这样用的动词短语有： can’t stand 忍不住; can’t help 忍不住; feel like 想，欲；give up 放弃; put off 推迟
e.g. Do you feel like taking a walk?你要不要
The story was so funny that we ___. A. couldn’t help laugh B. can’t but laugh C. couldn’t help laughing
D. couldn’t help but to laugh
spend ...in doing 在做某事方面花费
be busy (in) +doing sth.
waste time (in) +doing sth.
prevent/stop/keep ...from doing have some difficulty/trouble (in) doing
have a hard time (in) doing sth.
1) On land many objects prevent sound _____ very far. A. to travel B. travel C. from travelling D. to travelling 2) She returned home only to find the door open and something____ . A. missed B. to be missing C. missing D. to be missed
5. [用法归纳] 牢记接动名词和接不定式意义差别很大的动词 或短语 ⑴ remember to do (记住去做) remember doing (记得做过)
⑵ forget to do (忘记去做) forget doing (忘记做过） ⑶ regret to do (遗憾地做) regret doing (后悔做了） ⑷ mean to do (打算做) mean doing (意味着)
⑸ stop to do (停下来去做)
⑹ ⑺ ⑻ ⑼
stop doing (停止做) try to do (设法做) try doing (试做) go on to do (接着做另一事) go on doing (继续做同一事) can’t help to do (不能帮助做) can’t help doing (情不自禁地做) sth. need/want/require doing(=to be done) (某物需要被做)
1) Have you forgotten ___$1000 from me last month? Will you please remember ___ it tomorrow?
A. borrowing; to bring B. to borrow; bring C. borrowed; bringing D. borrowing; bringing
2) Once the heart stops _____, death follows
A. beating B. to beat
C. being beaten
D. to be beating
5. 动词allow, advise, forbid, permit等可直 接跟V-ing形式作宾语, 不可以接动词不定 式作宾语; 但可以接不定式作宾语补足语。
Please permit me to say a few words. 请允许我说几句话。 We don’t permit smoking here. 我们这儿不允许吸烟
6. 动名词的主动形式表示被动意义。 [熟读深思] The watch needs repairing.(=The watch needs to be repaired .) 这块表需要修理。 The problem deserves thinking about .(=The problem deserves to be thought about .) 这个问题值得考虑。 His suggestion is worth considering. 他的提议值得考虑。
[用法归纳] ⑴ 动词need， require， want， deserve 后，用动名词的主动形式表示被动意义。 其用法相当于不定式的被动结构。 sth. need/want/require doing(=to be done) 某物需要做某事 ⑵ 在(be) worth后面只能用动名词的主动 态来表示被动意义, 结构为： be worth doing
1.Your clothes need ______.
C. to wash
B. to be washed
D. being washed
2. The classroom wants _____.
C. to clean
7. 前面有时用形容词性物主代词或名词所 有格做逻辑主语或宾语。 His being late made the teacher angry.
The teacher was angry at Tom/ Tom’s being late. It’s a waste of time your talking to him. 你和他谈话是白费时间。
一、单项选择 1) My brother keeps ___ me with my work. A. to help B. help C. helping D. helped 2) We should often practise ___ English with each other. A. to speak B. spoke C. speak D. speaking
3) You must pay attention to ___ the works of Lu Xun. A. read B. reading C. reader D. be read 4) You should work tonight instead of _____ TV. A. to watch B. you watching C. you watch D. watching
5) The microscope is used for__ minute
C. examined night. (stay up) A. to sit C. to sitting
B. being examined
6) Mike has got used ___ up late at
B. X D. sitting
二、单项填空。 helping 1.He took great delight in_________ (help) others.
2. He didn’t mind__________ (leave) at being left home.
being treated 3. They couldn’t stand_____________ (treat) like that.
taking 3. How about the two of us_________ (take) a walk down the garden? 4. — What do you think made Mary so upset? Losing — ________(lose) her new bicycle.
5. — We don’t allow anyone__________ to smoke (smoke) here. — Well, I hate to say it again. We don’t smoking allow __________(smoke) here.
telling 6. They thought there is no trouble_______ (tell) their favorite brand from other brands. 7. Millions of pounds have been spent to improve ___________(improve) the free state education system in Britain.
8. A large glass of water before you eat may getting help to prevent you _______(get) too excited before delicious foods.
三、完成句子。 my reading your 1. Do you mind______________________ newspapers ____________? 我看看你的报纸行吗？
your telling me that 2. I appreciate____________________.
in getting over all the 3. We succeeded___________________ difficulties __________. 我们终于克服了所有的困难。
4.__________________________is no Working in these conditions easy job. 在这样的条件下工作是不容易
5._________________________is her Mary’s not going to college regret. 玛丽没上过大学是她感到遗憾的
Homework: 1.百思P25-27 2.Sb P12-13 & Wb P50