A STUDENT OF AFRICAN__ WILDLIFE(1)
A STUDENT OF AFRICAN WILDLIFE
1. Develop students’ reading ability by different reading strategies. 2. Learn the way to describe a person from what the person did, what she looks like and so on. 3. Learn from Jane Goodall, stimulate(激发)their love and respect for great women and develop their moral qualities.
Teaching procedures Warming – up
1. Introduce some great women.
2. Discuss what they have in common.
Skim the text and answer the following questions. 1. Who is the student?
2. What animals were observed?
3. Where did Jane Goodall do her research?
Fast – reading
Read the text fast and do the matches work Para 1 Para 2 Para 3 Para 4 Jane’s achievement How our group studied chimps in the forest How Jane tries to protect chimps. What Jane discovered about chimps
Careful – reading I Choose the correct answer after reading the passage carefully.
1. What did the group do first in the morning? They A went into the forest slowly B left the chimp family sleeping in a tree C observed the family of chimps wake up .
D helped people understand the behavior of the chimp 2. Why did Jane go to Africa to study chimps in the wild? Because she wanted A to work with them in their own environment B to prove the way people think about chimps was wrong C to discover what chimps eat
D to observe a chimp family 3. Jane was permitted to begin her work after A the chimp family woke up B she lived in the forest C her mother came to support her .
D she arrived at Gombe 4. The purpose of her study was to A watch the wild chimps in cages B C gain a doctor’s degree understand and respect the lives of chimps .
D live in the forest as men can
Ⅱ True of False
( ) 1. The chimps show love to their family by talking to each other.
( ( (
) 2. In 1960, most people before Jane fully understood chimp behavior. ) 3. One important thing Jane discovered was that chimps ate only fruit and nuts. ) 4. Jane argued that people should not use chimps for entertainment or ads.
Ⅲ Fill in the blanks
Jane Goodall has studied the people how much they for many years in and helped like human. Jane had wanted to___
with animals in their own ________. She spent many years _______and ________their daily activities. For 40 years, Jane has been the_______world understand and everything she wanted to do, and achievements of women. about making
the life of these animals. She has_______ those who want to the
1. This means going back to the place where we left the family sleeping in a tree the night before.
leave + 宾语 + 宾语补足语
doing done adj/adv prep-phr
Don’t leave her Don’t leave your homework Don’t leave the door Don’t leave the dog
别让她等在外面。 . 要完成作业。
2. Only after her mother came to help her for the first few months was she allowed to begin her project.
这是一个以 only 开头的倒装句。Only + 状语（状语从句、介词短语、副词）置 于句首，主句用部分倒装，即把原句中的情态动词、系动词或助动词提到主语前
“only+主语”置于句首，句子不倒装。 注： 只有你能做这件事。
Who is the great woman in your heart? And why?
Enjoy a poem M-O-T-H-E-R --- Howard Johnson “M” is for the million things she gave me, “O” means only that she’s growing old, “T” is for the tears she shed(流泪) to save me, “H” is for her heart of purest gold, “E” is for her eyes, with love – light shining, “R” means right, and right she’ll always be, Put them all together, they spell “mother”, a word that means the world to me.
Write a passage about your great woman.