Unit 5 Nelson Mandela Language points
4. die for 为某种事业或目的而死 die for one’s country/ the people/ the cause. die of 死于内因 die from 死于外因 die from a car accident. 由于车祸而死 die by 死于暴力, 刀或剑等凶器 die by the sword/hanging.
be dying for 极想得到... She is dying for a cup of water. die through carelessness 因过失而死 die…down 凋落, 消失 die away 消失（渐渐远去） The sound died away. 声音渐渐远去。 die out 绝种 This kind of animal is dying out.
5. give up + n./ pron/ v-ing
He won’t give up the experiment even if he has failed many times. His father has given up smoking. This is a good idea. You shouldn’t give it up. She gave up her job to look after her mother．
只能接动名词作宾语的动词 avoid, consider, dislike, enjoy, excuse,
finish, imagine, mind, miss, suggest,
stop, feel like, give up, can’t help, can’t stand
6. in a peaceful way 以和平的方式 Do not talk (in) that way. 那样 (In) this way, you can remember the spelling. 这样 Don’t stand in the /my way. 碍事 He is better in some way (s). 在某些方面 He picked a pen on the way to school. 在往…的路上
7. fight against/for/with
The soldiers fought bravely _______ against
the enemy ___ for the liberation ____ with
8. put sb. in (into) prison 把……关进监狱
throw sb. into prison= send /take sb. to prison
prison表示蹲监狱时, 其前不用冠词 be sent to prison
be in prison break prison
be thrown into prison (被投入监狱)
He had been in prison for 20 years . The man was put in prison for stealing a car. Anyone who breaks the law should be thrown into prison. They all went to the prison to visit the prisoners.
类似: bed, church, class, college, hospital, school, university, market
9. be…away有…远(指距离、时间) 1) 我家离这里只有两条街。 My house is only 2 blocks away from here.
His birthday is two weeks away.
in two weeks.
10. worry vt. worry sb. that 使某人担心
worry oneself 使自己担心 1) 她整天往外跑你不担心吗？ Doesn’t it worry you that she
spends so much time away from home?
Don’t worry yourself.
worry vi. worry about=be worried about 担心
worry over sth. 因某事担心
He worried that he would fail the exam.
She lost weight because she worried
about her son’s illness.
1) I’m worried ______ her driving
the car tonight on the wet road.
2) His dangerous driving always _______ me. A. worry about B. worries about C. worried about D. worries
11. be out of work/job 失业, 没有工作
= lose one’s job = be unemployed His mother has been out of work for half a year. in work 有工作 Is her husband in work? out of 意为“在…之外”,“向…外”;表 示失去,没有,用完;不再处于某种状况。 反义词为into或in。
① The little boy ran out of the room. ② He took my books out of my
③ Don’t run into the room.
④ Can you put your raincoat in
out of breath 上气不接下气 out of patience 不耐烦 out of petrol 汽油用完了 out of use 没用了 out of order 出故障了 out of control 失控了 out of danger 脱离危险了 out of sight 看不见了
out of fashion
out of date
out of repair
Out of sight, out of mind.
12. as … as+主语+can/could 尽可能, 尽量
= as … as + possible
He was running as fast as he could. =He was running as fast as possible. You must speak English as often as you can. =You must speak English _________________. as often as possible
They did the experiment as carefully as
=They did the experiment
___________________. as carefully as possible Try to make as few mistakes as you can. =Try to make as _______________________. few mistakes as possible
13. The last 30 years have seen the greatest number of…
某些动词(see, find, witness等)主语有时不
是人而是物, 即拟人用法, 使句子生动。
1) This old house has seen good days.
2) Dusk (黄昏) found a boy crying in the
3) Oct 1,1949, saw/ witnessed the
foundation of the People’s Republic
14. either... or... (两者之中)…或… (之一) You may stay either in a hotel or in a private house. I want to visit either Paris or London. Either you or I am wrong. Either of the boys likes singing. Either day is OK.
neither…nor… He has neither money nor social position. Neither parent cares what happens to the child. Neither of the boys likes to play such a game.
both…and… Both he and I are wrong. Both of the boys like singing.
15. accept 与 receive的区别： ① accept (接受)表示主观上乐意接受。
receive (收到,得到), 表示客观收到, 还不能断定是否接受。 I received his letter of invitation, but I didn't accept it.
② accept 还表示“答应”、“同意”、 He asked her to marry him and she accepted. ③ receive 还表示“接待”、“接收”、 “欢迎” She was received into the club.
---Have you_____ the invitation to
---Yes, I have. And I've ________it. A. accepted, received B. received, accepted C. received, received D. accepted, accepted
3. be in trouble 有麻烦，处于不幸中 He has got into /is in trouble. We must help him. 补充: make trouble 制造麻烦 put sb. to trouble 给某人添麻烦 have trouble (in) doing sth. 做某事有困难 take trouble to do sth. 费心做某事
16. go against 违背,违反;不利于 If you do that, you'll go against your parents’ wishes. His opinion is going against us. The game is going against them. They are going against our wishes . It goes against my principles . 这违反我的原则。 break the law= go against the law
17. be to do sth.
They are to go travelling in August.
We are to begin the work next week.
The train for Wuhan is to start at 12: 20.
You’re to go to the teachers’ office
Mother says you are to wait here till she comes.
3. 用于第三人称时, 通常表示命令或 指示 “The room is to be locked”. The manager said. She’s to be back before ten.
1). advise sb. on sth. 就…给某人出主意/
=give sb. advice on
I have advised you on that matter. The teacher advised me on how to learn English well.
2). advise +n. /pron. The doctor advised a change of air. 建议换换空气。 The doctor advised (me) taking more exercise. 3). advise sb. to do sth. 建议某人干 The doctor advised me to take more exercise.
4). advise + (that) sb. (should) do
The doctor advised that I (should)
take more exercise.
I advise that you (should) not eat the fruit.
19. should have done 本该完成却未能做成
他本该通过这次考试的，可是却没有。 You should have passed the exam. But unfortunately, he did not. Mr White ___ at 8:30 for the meeting, but he didn’t show up. A.should arrive B. should have arrived C. should have had arrived D. should be arriving
20. since =now that 意为“由于,既然”,常 表示已知的或大家都清楚的原因。 because表语气最强, 经常表听者不知的原 因,它能回答why的提问。 as 可和because互换,但语气不够它强,也不 能回答why的提问。 for 是并列连词,与后面的分句对前一句话 起到补充说明的作用,其前常有逗号隔开。
I can’t go because I’m ill. Since the rain has stopped, let’s go out for a walk. As I’m leaving tomorrow, I’ve bought you a gift.
It must have rained last night, for the
ground is wet.
Translation on Page 71
1. As a matter of fact, parents hope
their children won’t be in trouble
/get into trouble.
2. The number of people out of work has increased by 2% this year.
3. After Mandela came to power, his
government did their best to
improve the education for the blacks
/the black people.
4. The doctor advised him to eat more fruit and take more exercise. The doctor advised that he (should) eat more fruit and take more exercise.
5. No matter how many times you fail,
you should never lose heart.
6. Robert was sentenced to three years
in prison for stealing.
7. Are you willing to join the club (that)
we’ve just set up?
8. She continued to read /reading when
I spoke to her.
Match the following ( G)1.advise A. set up a law firm ( A)2.open a law firm B. keep doing sth
( B)3.continue ( D)5.blow up C. make a dream become true ( H)4.be out of work D. destroy sth with a bomb E. throw sb into prison ( E)6.put into prison F. in fact, actually ( C)7.realize a ream G. give sb advice ( F)8.as a matter of fact H. lose one’s job
put in prison
continue out of work as a matter of fact 1. Nelson Mandela advised ______ the black people on their problems. 2. My family couldn’ t _______ to pay continue my school fees so I had to leave school 3. If you don’t work hard, you will be __________. out of work
4. It seems that he thinks little of money.
________________ As a matter of fact he likes money very much. 5. He was put ___________ in prison because he killed a man on purpose. 6. The terrorists want to _______ blow up the building.
Listen to the tape and fill in the blanks
My name is Elias. I am a poor black worker in South Africa. The time when I _______ Nelson Mandela was a very first met difficult period of my life. I was ______ twelve ________ years old . It was in 1952 and he had opened a black law firm to advise _____ poor black people on their problems.
I began school at six. The school where I studied only two years was three kilometers away. I had __________, to leave because my family could not continue
to pay the school _________ fees and the bus fare.
I could not read ___________. or write After trying
hard, I got a job in a gold
mine. This was a time when one had
got to have a passbook to live _____ in
Johannesburg. Sadly I did not have
this passbook because I was not born
there and I was worried about
whether I would be out __________. of work
A. out of work
B. a very difficult time
C. open a law firm D. get a job
E. pay the school fee
7. 违反法律 8. 以和平方式 9. 以暴易暴 10. 实现梦想
F. break the law
G. in a peaceful way
H. realize a dream I. have no vote
J. answer violence
1. Translate the following words or sentences into English: 1). 为那些遇到麻烦的穷苦人提供咨询服务 2). 开始上学 3). 三公里远 4). 继续支付学费 5). 担心我是否会失业
6). 过去的三十年 7). 接受低人一等的事实 8). 只有这时我们才决定用暴力反抗暴力。 9). 实际上 10). 被监禁 11). 炸毁一些政府大楼 12). 这是为了实现我们的黑人和白人平等 的梦想。
2. P71.Using structures EX.2 用定语