M5 Unit5 Warmingup Reading_图文
What happened in the picture?
fire broke out.
? A traffic accident happened.
A solider got wounded.
A person got drowned and was now being pulled out of a river.
What can we do to help them before the doctors arrive?
? ? ? ? call the ambulance ask someone for help give first aid …
What is “first aid”?
help First aid is a temporary form of ______ falls given to someone who suddenly _____ gets ________ injured before a doctor ill or _____ ____ can be found.
Why is first aid important?
Giving first aid quickly can save lives.
Brainstorming What do you need for first aid?
What has happened to the person in each picture?
What kinds of first aid should you give in these situations?
a snake bite
a sprained ankle
a broken arm
A snake has bitten him on the leg.
a snake bite
?Lay him down and keep him still. ?Apply pressure to the bitten part. ?Don’t move him till the doctor comes.
She has cut her arm with some broken glass and is bleeding badly.
?Put a bandage on the wound. ?Apply pressure to reduce the bleeding
He has sprained his ankle.
a sprained ankle
?Seat him down ?Put some ice on his ankle to reduce the swelling.
She has been choked by a piece of food.
?Bend her forward. ?Give her four quick, hard slaps between the shoulder blades (肩胛) with hand.
She has broken her arm.
a broken arm
?Do not move the broken bone if possible. ?Keep the arm still using a bandage. ?Call for help immediately.
His nose is bleeding. v. He has a nosebleed. n. ?Sit down and bend forward slightly. ?Squeeze his nose just below the bridge (鼻梁) until the bleeding stops.
The little girl gets burned by hot liquids. She will have burns.
First Aid for Burns
1. In which order are these topics covered in the text? Number them from 1 to 5.
3 the three types of burns ____ 5 what to do if someone gets burned ____
____ 1 the functions of the skin
4 the symptoms of burns ____
2 ____ how we get burns
?The functions of the skin:
1) Act as a barrier against ________, diseases ______ poisons the sun’s harmful rays and _____________________;
2) Keep you warm or cool
3) Prevent your body from losing water ; 4) Feel cold, heat or pain and give you sense of touch . ______________
1 How can people get burnt?
…by a variety of reasons: hot liquids, steam, fire, radiation, the sun, electricity or chemicals.
2. How many types of burns are there? What are they?
Three types of burns: first degree burns second degree burns third degree burns
Three types of burns
1st degree burns 2nd degree burns
Effect Affect only the top layer of the skin.
Example mild sunburn, burns caused by touching a hot pan, stove or iron for a moment
severe sunburn, burns caused by hot liquids burns caused by electric shocks, burning clothes, or severe petrol fires.
Affect both the top and the second layer of the skin. Affect all three layers of 3rd degree the skin and any tissue burns and organs under the skin.
2.Label these pictures with first degree burn, second degree
burn and third degree burn.
A______________ second degree burn
B___________ first degree burn
C_______________ third degree burn
What type of burn does the little girl receive?
Read “First aid treatment” and find out what treatment should be given to the little girl.
keep cloths cool by putting them back in the cold water, squeezing them out and placing them on the burn over and over again.
1. Get the victim to the doctor or hospital
2. Keep cloths cool by putting them back in the cold water; squeezing them out and placing them on the burned area over and over again for about an hour until the pain is not so bad.
First degree Burns
Second degree burns Third degree burns
3. Place cool, clean, wet clothes on them until the pain is not so bad.
1.Why should you put cold water on a burn? 2.Why doesn’t a third degree burn hurt?
3.Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed?
1. Why should you put cold water on a burn?
Because the cold water stop the burning process, stop the pain and reduces the swelling.
2. Why doesn’t a third degree burn hurt?
Because in a third degree burn the nerves are damaged. If there are no nerves, there is no pain.
3. Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed?
Because this may break any blisters and the wound may get infected.
1. Our skin has three layers.
2. We will never get burned by the sun.
3. Burns are divided into three types according to the degree.
4. Third degree burns are the most serious and painful.
5. Put icy water on any burns to cool them. 6. Never rub the burns.
7. It’s better that you put some butter or ointment on burns.
4. Discuss in groups of four to see whether the
following treatment is right or wrong. If it’s wrong, give the correct statement.
1. Sam knocked over a kettle full of boiling water onto this legs. His legs became red, swollen and covered with blisters. Sam broke the blisters and poured icy water from the fridge onto the skin. ( W)
2. While ironing clothes, Miss Good accidentally touched the iron. Her wrist blistered and became watery. It hurt a lot. She put her wrist under the cold water tap and then kept placing cool, clean, damp cloths on it until it was less painful. Then she went to see the doctor. ( R)
3. Mrs Casey’s sleeve caught fire while she was cooking. Her arm looked terrible but it didn’t hurt. The skin was charred. Her husband took off her blouse and picked off bits of the blouse stuck to the burn. He then placed butter on the burn and covered it with a wet bandage. ( W)
4. After an hour in the sun, Lily noticed her arms were red and hurt a bit. She went home and put them under cool running water. ( R)
What kind of first aid would you perform on the girl?
Place burns under gently running water for about 10 minutes.
Remove clothing using scissors unless it is stuck to the burn. Take off other clothing and jwellery near the burn.
Dip the burns under cool water to stop the pain and prevent or reduce swelling.
Place cool, clean, wet cloths on burns until the pain is not so bad.
If the injuries are second degree or third degree burns, get the victim to the doctor or hospital at once.
injury swelled blood /bleeding sprain
bleed sprain poison vary
swollen bloody /bleeding
sprained poisonous various
variety organ choke water infection
choke water infect
infected / infecious
1. When do you need to use your knowledge first aid When somebody suddenly about _______? falls ill or has an accident. ________ 2. What is the ____? It is an organ which acts as a _______ barrier against disease, poisons and the sun’s harmful _______. rays 3. Why are the functions of the skin described complex It keeps you warm and cool; it as ________? prevents your body from losing too much sense of water and provides you with your ______ touch.
tissue of the skin? Hot 4. What can hurt the _______
liquid _______ from pans on the stove, electric
shocks, and radiation, fire and the sun.
vital to do if you have third 5. What is it ______
degree burns? Go to the hospital.
symptoms of first degree 6. What are the ___________
burns? They are dry, red and mildlyswollen _______.
用适当的形式填空并比较词性 poisoned if you are bitten by a 1.You will be ________ _________ poisonous snake. (poison) 2. The coffee is very hot. Don’t burn ____ your mouth, burns (burn) or you will receive serious _____. 3.Wood often ______ swells when wet. The river was _______ swollen with melted snow. (swell) 4. The solider was ________ wounded in the battle. Fortunately, the _______ wound was not so serious. (wound)
5. The storm caused great _______ damage to the damaged village and all the crops were _________. (damage) 6. Infected _______ with the disease, many people got frightened by the _________. infection (infect) 7. Tom received a slight _______ injury while many injured in the accident. other people got __________ (injure)