Let’s enjoy a video
What do you know about the girl?
Sang Lan's Facts Birth date/Place: June 11, 1981 Hometown: Ningbo, Zhejiang Province, China Began Gymnastics: 1987 Major Accomplishments: 1998 Chinese Nationals--2nd vault; 1997 Chinese National Vault Champion; 1996 Chinese Nationals--2nd vault Hobbies: Playing video games, watching "Tom and Jerry" Food: Kentucky Fried Chicken
Fast reading for general idea
Go through the passage quickly to find answers to the three questions in Part A. Answers
2. Dr Brain. 3.In Ningbo, China in 1981.
Careful-reading for detailed information 1.Read the passage again and complete Part C1 .
2.Listen to the tape and complete C2.
C1 6 F 1 F 7 T 3f 2 T 8 F 3 F 4 F 5 T
C2 2 b
4e 5a 6d
Describe Sang Lan's personality
brave considerate Personality of Sang Land courageous
Relevant information in the interview which shows Sang Lan’s personality
I.Before going to hospital
1.being successful in her sport when she was young
2.being described as energetic, happy and hard-working 3.working towards something special 4.trying to make her parents proud
While staying in hospital
· being in good spirits
· thinking about what she could do to get better · being proud of the things she had accomplished · feeling happy to be alive, and lucky to have the rest of her life to learn new things
After leaving hospital
· studying journalism at Beijing University
· hosting a sports show about the 2008 Beijing Olympics · looking forward to playing table tennis in the special Olympics for disabled people in 2008 · thinking about positive things and staying optimistic · believing that keeping busy helps her stay positive
Complete Part D
Find these words and expressions in the interview. Guess their meanings from the context. Then match them with the correct definitions. Answers:1 g 2 c 3 b 4 f 5 d 6 I 7 a 8 e 9 h
Complete Part E
Read this newspaper article about Sang Lan. Complete it with the words below. Answers: 1 dedicated 2 mistake 3 wall 4.neck 5 visitors 6 positive 7 journalism 8 programme
1. To others, happiness means achieving success in something, such as meeting a goal. (P18) 对其他人来说，幸福意味着成功，比如达 到一个目标。
mean：verb [T] meant, meant
1) to express or represent something such as an idea,
thought, or fact: （指字句等）意谓
What does this word mean? [+ that] These figures mean that almost 7% of the working population is unemployed. What do you mean by that remark? 2) used to add emphasis to what you are saying: 意指 I want you home by midnight. And I mean midnight. Give it back now! I mean it.
3) to have a particular result: 预示
Lower costs mean lower prices. [+ that] Advances in electronics mean that the technology is already available. [+ ing form of verb] If we want to catch the 7.30 train, that will mean leaving the house at 6.00.
4) to have an important emotional effect on someone: 意味 It wasn't a valuable picture but it meant a lot to me. Possessions mean nothing to him.
5) to intend: 打算 I'm sorry if I offended you - I didn't mean any harm. The books with large print are meant for our partially sighted readers.
[+ to infinitive] I've been meaning to phone you all week. Do you think she meant to say 9 a.m. instead of 9 p.m.?
[+ object + to infinitive] This exercise isn't meant to be difficult. They didn't mean for her to read the letter.
1.（2002上海春招） In some parts of London, missing a bus means______ for another hour.
A. waiting B.to wait C. wait D. to be waiting 2. ( 2006江苏卷) The owner of the cinema needed to make a lot of improvements and employ more people to keep it running, _________ meant spending tens of thousands of pounds.
A. who B. that 3.（2006湖南）
If you think that treating a woman well means always_______ her permission for things, think again.
A. gets B. got C. to get D. getting
2. Sang Lan is very good example of someone who is happy with her life, even when people expect her to be sad. (P18) 桑兰是享受生活的一个很好的 例子，尽管人们认为她会悲伤。
expect: verb [T] 1) to think or believe something will happen, or someone will arrive:
We are expecting a lot of applicants for the job. [+ (that)] I expect (that) you'll find it somewhere in your bedroom. I expect (that) he'd have left anyway. [+ to infinitive] He didn't expect to see me. The financial performance of the business is fully expected (= almost certain) to improve.
2) to think that someone should behave in a particular way or do a particular thing: I expect punctuality from my students. [+ to infinitive] Borrowers are expected to (= should) return books on time. Don’t expect too much of him,young man.Don’t you know that he is a lazy one?!
1. Mum is coming. What present ___________ for your birthday? A．you expect she has got B．you expect has she got C．do you expect she has got D．do you expect has she got 2.（04四川）
According to the art dealer, the painting ______ to go for at least a million dollars.
A. is expected B. expects C. expected D. is expecting
I've worked with children before, so I know what______ in my new job. A. expected B. to expect
3. Well, in case some of our viewers don’t know her story, can you tell us a little bit about Sang Lan and who she is? （P18） 好的，或许我们有些观众还不知道桑兰的故事， 您能给我们简单介绍一下桑兰吗？ in case：because of a possibility of something happening, being needed, etc: 以 防
I don't think I'll need any money but I'll bring some just in case. Bring a map in case you get lost. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning in case of traffic jam.
相关高考试题： 1.（06江苏） I wish you’d do ________ talking and some more work. Thus things will become better. A. a bit less B. any less C. much more D. a little more
答案及解析：选A. 此句意为，“我希望你少说一 点，多做一点，因此，事件会变的更好”。
I always take something to read when I go to the A doctor’s __________ I have to wait. A．In case B．so that C．in order D．as if 2. （06全国Ⅲ） D you How can you expect to learn anything ____ never listen? A. in case B. even if C. unless D. when 3. （06浙江） D spare paper, in case we We always keep ________ ran out. A. too much B. a number of C. plenty of D. a good many
4．Even though her training meant that she had to live apart from her parents, she was happy to devote herself to gymnastics. （P18）参加训练意味着她不能和父母住在一 起，但尽管如此，她还是乐意奉献于体操。
1) even though/if：although 尽管,即使
Even though he was tired, he helped me with my work.
I shall go even though it rains.
It is better to ask him even though he (should) refuse. even/as if：used to describe how a situation seems to be 好 象 She looked as if she'd had some bad news. I felt as though I'd been lying in the sun for hours. They stared at me as if I was crazy.
相关高考试题 1. (05湖南) Allow children the space to voice their opinions, B ____they are different from your own. A. until B. even if C. unless D. as though 2. （05江西）
A Your uncle seems to be a good driver; _________, I wouldn’t dare to travel in his car . A．even so B．even though
2) devote …to…：to give all of something, especially your time, effort or love, or yourself, to something you believe in or to a person:奉献于… He left government to devote more time to his family. She has devoted all her energies/life to the care of homeless people. At the age of 25, he decided to devote himself to God.
devote …to sth/doing sth
be devoted to sth/doing sth
5.And how has Sang Lan adapted to her new life? (P19) 那桑兰是怎样适应新生活的呢？ adapt: verb
1) to become familiar with a new situation: The good thing about children is that they adapt very easily to new environments.
2) 2) to change something to suit different conditions or uses: Many software companies have adapted popular programs to the new operating system.
[+ to infinitive/for sth]
We had to adapt our plans to fit Jack's timetable. The play had been adapted for (= changed to make it suitable for) children. Davies is busy adapting Brinkworth's latest novel for television.
6.I know I will think about how she rebuilt her life whenever my life feels unbearable. (P19)我知道， 以后每当我感到生活难以承受时，都会想一想桑 兰是如何重建生活的。 whenever： adv., conj. every or any time: Whenever I go there ,they seem to be in bed. I try to use olive oil whenever possible.
"Will it be okay if I do it tomorrow?" "Sure, whenever (= then or at any other time).“ It doesn’t matter whenever you do it.
In peace，too，the Red Cross is expected to send help _______ D there is human suffering. A. whoever B. however C. whatever D. wherever 2. （05浙江）
B The old tower must be saved, _________the cost.
A. however wherever B. whatever C. whichever D.
3. (06北京) --- Could you do me a favour?
C it is. --- It depends on ______
A. which B. whichever C. what D. whatever
7.Reeve could not walk either, due to an unfortunate horse riding accident. (P21)由于一次 骑马时不幸的事故，Reeve也不能走路了。 due to: caused by; attributable to 由于
This accident was due to his carelessness.
The accident was due to bad driving. His success was due to hard work. He arrived late due (owing) to the storm.
The great success of this programme has been ______ D due to the support given by the local businessmen. D A. rather B. very C. quickly D. largely
8. Yes, as long as I still had my family and friends.
(P21) 是的，只要我还有家人和朋友。 as long as: 只要 相关高考试题
B It is said that dogs will keep you_______for as long as you want when you are feeling lonely.
A. safety B. company C. house D. friend